2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar*
1 2/3 cups milk
2 1/3 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour*
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1. Wisk or beat softened butter and sugar together until creamy.
2. Wisk the eggs and milk together in a separate bowl.
3. Combine the dry ingredients.
4. Blend the dry ingredients and the egg mixture into the butter mixture.
5. Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 in. glass pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
7. Cut into approximately 15 squares.
8. It’s best served warm right out of the oven!
9. Refrigerate any leftovers.
*Sugar – I used 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice and 1/4 cup honey. You can use all honey or all maple syrup if you prefer. And you can adjust the amount of sweetener to your liking.
*Flour – I used unbleached white flour, but you may substitute with whole wheat or spelt.
Variation: Stir 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese into the batter for a little special twist.
The Farmer's Wife