Chicken Rub Ingredients
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
- 2 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Pat chicken dry. If you wish, allow chicken to dry in the refrigerator to promote further browning of the skin when you smoke it.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To help the rub stick, drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the bird.
- Coat the whole bird with spice rub inside and out. For best flavor, allow it to sit for 1 hr. in the refrigerator or up to 12 hrs.
- Stuff the cavity of the bird with wedges of onion and lemon and poke a few sprigs of thyme in.
- Cross the two legs and tie them together with butcher twine to promote even cooking and tuck wings beneath the bird to prevent drying out.
- Set your pellet grill at 175 degrees for the first hour if you wish to smoke your bird. If you don't have a pellet grill or smoker you can just skip to the next step.
- Turn the grill temperature up to 375 until the chicken internal temperature is 165 at the thickest part.
- Remove the bird from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.