- 5 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 8 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp. Celtic Sea salt
- 12 slices of French bread
- 2 lg garlic cloves, halved
- 3/4 cup swiss or cheddar, sliced
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil over in saucepan on medium heat.
- Add onions and butter and cook and stir for 10-13 min. or till softened.
- Reduce heat to med-low; cook for 30-40 minutes or till onions are a deep, golden brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add minced garlic and cook 2 minutes till fragrant.
- Stir in wine.
- Bring to a boil; cook till liquid is reduced by half.
- Add broth, pepper, and salt.
- Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes to toast.
- Rub toasts with garlic halves.
- To serve, place 8 oz broiler safe bowls filled with soup on baking sheet.
- Place a toast in each bowl.
- Top with cheese and broil 4 inches from heat till cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
If you want to try a slightly different twist, switch out 2 cups of beef broth for 2 cups of chicken broth. Or mix in a cup of Epic Chipotle Beef Broth for an added layer of spice flavor! Either way is delicious!
~ Wesley & Kaylita