Hi folks...It's me, the farmer's wife. This recipe was handed down to me from my mother. It is definitely our family's favorite way to eat Rhubarb! It seems to be a favorite of our farm store customers too. We bake a lot of these for the farm store each spring.
French Rhubarb Pie
Stir the following together to make the pie filling:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced in 1/4 inch pieces (approximately 1/2 pound of rhubarb)
Put this ‘rhubarb pie filling’ into an unbaked 8 inch pie crust and sprinkle with the following pie topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
Mix pie topping together until crumbly then sprinkle it on top of pie filling.
To bake the pie:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 - 35 minutes.
Cool before cutting. It’s delicious slightly warm or chilled!